A long distance move is perhaps one of the most stressful activities that all of us have to go through some time or the other in life. It has all the elements that could be a source of worry. There is a deadline. Each move is different from the previous one because the places, the type and the amount of goods to transport will be different. Suddenly you have to uproot everything which was setup over a course of many years and entrust all your prized possessions to a moving company. Everything has to be packed and suddenly you seem to have more things than what you ever thought you had. Nothing can possibly eliminate the stress of moving but if done in a planned way it is likely to be a happy experience.
One of the most important activities in a long distance move is selection of the moving company. These are the people to whom you entrust the responsibility of packing and transporting your goods to the destination safely and on time. This is one case where it is better to slightly compromise on the price rather than on the quality. There are many companies out there but a few of them could just be scams. Moving companies differ in the way they estimate the cost, calculate the final costs, the terms and the type of service that they provide.
The first task is to make a short list. This is the process where you weed out any scam companies or the ones with which other people have had bad experiences, or who are not really experts at the locations involved. This will involve some looking up on the internet and asking people who have used a long distance mover before.
The next thing to do is to get estimates from the companies in your short list. This is a very important step. Different movers have different terms and conditions and so just the price estimate may not tell the full story. If you don’t compare several quotes you will almost always make a wrong or less than optimal choice.
While you compare the quotes you have to read the fine print very carefully. Here are the important reasons why you should compare quotes from several moving companies before you make your decision:
- It may be better to pay a little more for better services. So price is not the only factor.
- It is better to pay a slight premium for a reputed mover than for a company about which you don’t have much information.
- Insurance cover is a very crucial component of the move package. It is best to avoid companies which don’t have sufficient insurance cover. In particular you should check the claims procedure should something go wrong. Some companies don’t cover damage unless they do the packing or unless they have an obvious role in the damage.
- It is necessary to check what is included in the move package and what could change if parameters during the actual move vary from the estimate. This is especially important if the estimate is based on weight. Weight cannot be accurately determined till the items are packed.
- It is best to select a company which allows you to be present when the cost is finalized such as when the items are weighed.
- You should not select a company that does not put all the conditions including any special conditions that they have agreed to in writing.
It is best to get the quotes of several moving companies before you make that crucial decision of selecting the company to entrust your goods and your move to ensure that your long distance move is safe, smooth and hassle free.